…and the walls came tumbling down.
Well, it may not have been a trumpet blasting away, but many alumni exchanged stories and memories on social media as most of what was left of the old high school building was razed this summer. What was left of the cafeteria and some of the vocational lab shops on the south side and the east wing that housed Biology, English and some History classes in addition to the library have been demolished. Portions of this included the buildings addition from 1958 and 1966.
Most of this building had been abandoned ten years ago after housing the school district’s central offices for years after the oldest portion of the former high school was leveled in 1992.
The Bob Wherry Natatorium and the auto-body shop and bays will remain as this area is converted to housing the bus fleet for the Massillon City School District and continues as the home for the Massillon Tiger Sharks boys and girls swim teams.